Entrance counseling required for some federal student loans

According to the KHEAA, students taking their first federal student loans for the upcoming academic year should follow entrance guidance.

Many students take out loans to help them pay for higher education. Entry advice helps them understand the responsibility that comes with borrowing money and have a plan for repaying loans.

The US Department of Education requires borrowers to complete entrance guidance before they can receive loan funds.

The department offers online counseling at studentaid.gov under the Complete Aid Process tab. Counseling should take between 20 and 30 minutes. Borrowers should check with their college to see if Federal Counseling is accepted, as some schools have alternate counseling program requirements.

KHEAA is a non-profit public agency established in 1966 to improve student access to university. It provides financial aid and financial literacy information at no cost to students and parents. KHEAA also helps colleges manage their student loan default rates and verify information submitted on the FAFSA. For more information on these services, visit www.kheaa.com.

In addition, KHEAA disburses private Advantage Education loans on behalf of its sister agency, KHESLC. For more information, visit www.advantageeducationloan.com.

About Judith J. George

Check Also

Can you refinance student loans?

Federal and private student loans can be refinanced, as long as you meet the credit …